Divorce law in New York is complex; preparing, filing, and serving the paperwork is complicated; and spouses stand to lose a lot if they do not understand their rights and Therefore, we recommend that you retain counsel whether your divorce is contested or uncontested. We do not handle contested divorces.
An uncontested divorce is one in which the facts are not in dispute and mutual agreement has been reached on the terms of the divorce.
We can help:
- counsel you on the New York State requirements for divorce actions, including residency requirements and legal grounds;
- avoid a trial through negotiation, divorce mediation, or collaborative divorce;
- convert an agreement you have reached with the aid of a non-lawyer mediator into an agreement that can be filed with the Court;
- incorporate an existing separation agreement into a divorce filing;
- gather necessary records;
- prepare and file all of your divorce paperwork from start to finish and obtain your divorce judgment.
In most uncontested cases, you will not need to go to Court yourself.