The law is shifting fast as it relates to same-sex couples. While many states, including New York, recognize same-sex marriage, there are still many jurisdictions around the country and around the world that do not. Therefore, LGBT families need special legal protections. We specialize in working with today’s families and will assist you and those you love with sensitivity and expertise. Our knowledge of the most current laws and rulings affecting LGBT families in New York State will be brought to bear in representing you, and we will make sure you are aware of any risks or uncertainties.
We can help you:
- prepare a donor agreement that clearly defines the role, if any, a known sperm donor will play in your child’s life;
- prepare and complete a second-parent adoption of your partner’s biological child;
- prepare and complete a foster adoption or private-placement adoption;
- prepare a health care proxy that entitles your partner to hospital visitation and the right to make medical decisions for you if you become incapacitated;
- prepare a will to secure an inheritance for your loved ones;
- plan your estate;
- avoid unproductive arguments and damage to your children with separation mediation;
- stay together with relationship mediation.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender partners and parents face unique challenges. But there is a lot you can do to secure the future of your family, and Rosenthal Law & Mediation is here to help you.